Friday, January 23, 2009

It's suppose to be warm today...well 56 degrees and that's warm this time of year isn't it? So, I'm gonna hop on the road bike and go for a spin after work. I haven't had many miles on the bike in the past few weeks because of this back annoyance I've had. No trainer, no mountain bike, no road bike, nothing, so I'm looking forward to a little time in the saddle today.


It sucks that I haven't had much riding time lately since a few of us have the mileage competition in full swing. The person with the most mileage at the end of the year gets a sixer of their favorite brew from each participant. I'm probably the low man on the totem pole right now with right around 70 miles or so for 2009. Hopefully that will change as my back feels better and warmer weather starts showing up. I usually commute by bike to work in the Spring and Summer, so I hope to make up some ground there.

As far as a decision on a mountain bike frame with gears, I have yet to make a decision. I've found some good deals online on some frames, but I have that disease where you can't click the buy button for fear of a better deal coming along seconds after you commit to buying. I have decided on a drivetrain though. I'm gonna go with Sram x-9 rear derailleur and shifter. I say shifter because I'm gonna run a 1x9. Also, I'm going to use my old road bike cassette for the new gearie, it's an 11-23 Ultegra. I just don't think I'll need a 34 tooth cog on the bike, after all, I've ridden just about every local trail on a 32x18 setup on the single speed and I just need something that won't require so much torque on my body when I climb. 

One other problem with the new frame is that Amanda isn't too happy about it. In hindsight, I probably should've bought a geared frame to begin with and just run an ENO hub on it and I wouldn't be in this predicament now. I'm not sure if she doesn't want me to spend the money or if she just doesn't want more bike parts in the apartment. I'll clarify that soon.

3 Responses to BAM!:

  1. you tell her YOUR GETTIN' A NEW BIKE!! Its better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permision dude

  1. I'm commenting here because i think that's my best option. Actually, that is my definition for galaxing, but there is a "real" one. Its illegal in north carolina.

  1. so is crack cocaine, you need to lay of the stuff or i'm going to report you for doping kiddo