Sunday, January 11, 2009

There are several things that I have never planned to do...and ride Iron Mountain by myself is one of them. The trails are not very friendly, they're fairly remote and this time of year, it's really f'in cold up there. However, that is the exact situation I found myself in today. I had planned to ride the Beartree area of Iron with by friend Casey, but he called and bailed after I had already driven up to the parking lot and had gotten ready. So, I figured, I'm already here, dressed and wanting to ride, so what the heck, I'll ride solo. I figured that I could turn around anytime I felt like it since I didn't have anyone else to please on the ride. So off I went, pedaling up the Beartree trail.

I took my camera with me so I could take some pictures and shortly after I took the first picture I noticed that my batteries were just about dead. I got to take two whole pictures! My plan was to ride easy and stop to smell the roses..so to speak. Yeah it was cold, wet, muddy and I was alone, but the scenery up there was amazing! When I got to the top of Iron I noticed that all the trees had about an eighth inch of ice on them. It looked really cool on the pine trees, each green needle outlined on one side with a bright white stroke of ice and EVERY tree looked like that up there. I don't know if there is a mountain biker Heaven, but the trail leading to it would look exactly like that. It was euphoric.

Ahh...the beauty of iced over trees...

A small pond that is just up from the Beartree trailhead. I've seen this thing completely frozen over before.

I rode just around 11 miles and climbed around 5k feet. The Garmin data shows more than 5k, but it's just a tad bit off.

My ride data can be found here

Also, another bit of cool news. The weekend after Christmas, my brother-in-law had some people over to his house to watch a fight. One of those guys was my niece's boyfriend's dad, aka, The Big Deaner. We were sampling some Depot Street suds my bro-in-law and I had gotten earlier that day and were talking about how cool it would be to go on a weekend tour of a bunch of breweries to sample their suds. Well, on Thursday I got a call from my bro-in-law, and apparently the Big Deaner means what he says. He has arranged for tours at several breweries in NC and arranged for us to have a driver take us to all these spots. So, at the end of February I'll be sampling brews across NC. I guess the plan is to start far away and work our way back. Anywho, I'll definitely take my camera so yous guys can live vicariously through me.

0 Responses to Mountain Biking Heaven: