Monday, March 23, 2009

Seriously, that's what the almost-toothless guy next to me said right after Frank Beamer said "Gentlemen, start your engines" on Sunday at the Food City 500 in Bristol. I was fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on your perception of Nascar racing) enough to get tickets to not only Sunday's Food City 500, but also Saturday's Scott's 300.


Friday evening, my twin brother showed up around 8 to stay the night so we could be up early to get to Bristol Motor Speedway for the day's events. I went for a much needed bike ride on Friday after work, so when Aaron arrived, it was time to visit Bella's for some pizza and brews. It was pretty crowded and since there were no places to sit, we opted for a pie to go and a growler of Bourbon Barrel Stout. Tasty stuff.

Saturday morning, it was waffles, shower and off to the track. We navigated traffic all the way to the track where we parked and met up with some of Aaron's buddies who had been camping since Thursday. We actually didn't sit in our assigned seats for the Saturday race since there weren't that many people there. We actually opted to sit with Aaron's buddies at the start/finish line, apparently named the Allison section. The race was pretty good even though I didn't know who all of the drivers were. I know some names, but that's about it.

The next day was another story. My dad pulled up about 10:30 for our trip to the big daddy race, the Food City 500. We got there a bit early, walked about a mile to the track, did some people watching then made our way to our seats. This time, our assigned seats cuz the place was PACKED!






We sat around the usual folks you would find at a Nascar event. Some hardcore, drunk and disorderly. Others not so hardcore, but just as drunk and there were folks like my dad and myself, stone-cold sober. My dad is a preacher, so a lot of the stuff that goes on at events like this, he doesn't agree with and gets aggravated. I laughed mostly at the hardcore drunk folks. Something about those, mainly guys, that just crack me up. They get so fired up and yell and cuss.

A fellow by the name of Kyle Busch won the race, which apparently is NOT a good thing in Bristol. EVERYBODY booed this guy. They HATED him. But, this dude dominated. He lead the majority of the race and took home the win. The best part was at the end when this dominating left-turner made his victory lap around the track. As he pulled out some dude behind us yelled, "F*&^K YOU KYLE BUSCH!!", over and over and over and over....and over again. I knew that it was only a matter of time before my dad would have something to say to this guy. However, instead of saying anything to Mr. Education behind us, he decided to show his disgust to those people around us smoking cigarettes. I'm telling you, it was tough.

0 Responses to Les' git this thang on th' show!: