Monday, June 29, 2009

I realize that I will get the usual "IT LIVES!!" and "Bout time!" types of replies to my all-but-abandoned blog, but I just get in those moods sometimes where I would rather read than write. But I digress.

I am planning to ride the Iron Mountain 100k on July 12 in Damascus. It won't be an easy task and I don't plan for it to be much fun. 62 miles on Iron Mountain is enough to make someone hate a bike for a long time. Hell, I've ridden 10 mile rides up there that make life miserable, but I always go back.

Yesterday, seven of us ventured to parts of the course I had never been, mainly the FR climb from the bottom of Jerry's Creek up to Barton Gap. When I first saw the map of this course and realized that we would be doing most of our climbing on fire roads I didn't think much of it and was quite relieved. My perception of this changed yesterday. We climbed the FR from Jerry's Creek to Barton Gap then to Skulls Gap, all of about 7 miles of it. The course will actually turn onto Skulls Gap trail about a half mile from the top, but it took FOREVER to climb to that point. Sprinkle in my crash into a rocky ravine at mile 5 (of a 25 mile ride) coming down Jerry's Creek that left me barely able to use my left leg from the worst charlie horse I've ever had, along with the flat tire I got before the FR climb that I still had to stop and pump up about every 10-15 mins and my complete disregard for nourishment. I took no food, no gels and no gatorade. All I had was a camelback full of water that I was almost glad to finish off because it was pretty warm near the end of the ride.

As I topped FR84 to descend back down to the main road, Doug, one of the guys that rode with us, was driving his truck up the FR to see if I or Jon wanted a ride back to the cars. I had ridden that far with a partially flat and still deflating tire, no fuel and a bum leg, I'll be damned if I'm not finishing it. So I coasted to the end of the ride in so much pain I was almost in tears.

The 100k is gonna suck much worse than Sunday's ride, but I will have the benefit of rest stops, food, cold water and the same insane determination that got me through Sunday's ride.

Here is the Garmin data for the ride if you care. The elevation will be off because, well, because it always is.

Amanda is starting an eight week running program that gradually builds up her strength and endurance for running. My leg hurts like MOTHERF*&$#ER today, but I'm gonna run with her. I think she will do well!

3 Responses to High and Dry:

  1. Heck with 100K , do a crit instead on the 12th....LOL

  1. Keith and I are doing the 100k. He'll be hanging out in Abingdon for the weekend.

  1. 100k on Iron Mtn! ouch. Good luck FT.